Campaign and Communications Coordinator
Date posted: Jan 11th, 2016
Closing date: Feb 8th, 2016
Salary: $40,000-$55,000 depending on experience, plus benefits
Job type: Full-time
Number of positions: 2
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia
Wherever you go in the world, private interests are taking over public resources, including air, land and water. In British Columbia, Dogwood Initiative is pioneering a model to put control back in the hands of the public by bringing together citizens and First Nations to reclaim decision-making power.
The Dogwood model combines large-scale citizen engagement and recognition of Indigenous land rights with a non-partisan political approach, all of which is underscored by a commitment to continual improvement through testing and analytics.
The ideal candidate will be a news junkie with experience working on and/or managing political advocacy campaigns. You’ll need strong oral and written communications skills, and the ability to develop compelling narratives on a variety of media platforms.
We currently have an opportunity for two Campaign and Communications Coordinators to join our talented team and play key roles delivering on upcoming campaign goals and managing communications with our 250,000+ supporters.
As part of our team, you’ll get to:
- Identify key moments, campaign angles, messages, and actions that resonate widely with our supporter base, media, government and other key stakeholders.
- Help develop strategies and content for campaigns, including writing and editing e-mail alerts, social media and web content
- Communicate and build relationships with decision-makers
- Work closely with Dogwood field organizers to advance our campaigns at the grassroots level
- Conduct media relations and act as a spokesperson for the organization
- Participate in coalition work with our partner organizations
- Conduct audience analysis and develop story arcs
- Monitor and assess content success
- Delve deep into the theory of how people make decisions and what we can do to help citizens take actions in line with their values
- Help strengthen democracy in British Columbia
To be considered for this position you should have some of the following skills and experience:
- A demonstrated passion for politics, citizen engagement and public storytelling
- Previous related experience in campaigning, communications or mobilization work
- An entrepreneurial, proactive attitude with a focus on getting results
- Experience with campaign/brand related social media
- Experience with content management systems, such as Drupal, Plone or Wordpress
- A demonstrated ability to generate creative, well-designed web, mobile and/or social media content to help tell stories through pictures, text, video etc.
- A track record of writing and editing clean, compelling copy for a variety of audiences
- Be able to identify audience needs and develop compelling narratives on a variety of media platforms
- Be able to develop plans with clear goals, roles, timelines and metrics
- Be comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Be willing to help out where you’re needed – with fundraising, special events and community outreach programs, for example
Additionally, please highlight in your application which of the following you have experience with:
- CP Style
- Shooting and editing video
- Campaign and Communications planning
- Writing e-mail broadcasts
- Using Salesforce or another CRM
- Using a mass e-mailing program
- Managing a social media presence for an organization
- Google Analytics or other analytics software
- Doing media relations
- Using data to improve results
- Working on a non-profit or political campaign
- Using graphic design software and doing design projects (social media and info graphics)
Dogwood Initiative offers a flexible and rewarding work environment, including four weeks paid vacation in your first year.
If you’re interested in this position and meet the requirements, please e-mail a résumé and a one-page cover letter detailing why you’d like to work for Dogwood Initiative and why you’re the right person for the job by Feb 8th to:
Matt Takach, Operations Director
Interviews may happen on a rolling basis, so please get your application in as soon as possible. When submitting your application please include your name in the subject line of the email and save your attachments with your first and last name in the title, such as: "Ann_Smith_Cover_Letter.pdf" and "Ann_Smith_Resume.pdf."
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. No phone calls please.