Date posted: March 6th, 2015
Closing date: April 8th, 2015
Salary: $40,000 per year plus benefits
Job type: Full-time, 12 month maternity leave contract
Start date: ASAP
Location: Victoria or Vancouver, B.C. (Victoria preferred)
Wherever you go in the world, private interests are taking over public resources, such as air, land and water. In British Columbia, Dogwood Initiative is pioneering a model to put control back in the hands of the public by bringing together citizens and First Nations to reclaim decision-making power over their natural resources.
The Dogwood model combines large-scale citizen engagement and recognition of aboriginal land rights with a non-partisan political approach, both of which are underscored by a commitment to continual improvement through sophisticated testing and analytics.
Not only are we building a model for citizens to take back control of their air, land and water, but we are also developing a template for how citizen-based organizations can become financially self-sufficient.
We currently have an opportunity for a Communications Coordinator to join our talented team and play a key role in managing communications with our supporters.
The ideal candidate will be a communications generalist who enjoys doing a variety of communications work, has solid design skills and a strong ability to develop compelling narratives on a variety of media platforms.
As part of our team, you’ll get to:
- Identify communications and content opportunities
- Help develop content for campaigns, including writing e-mail alerts, social media and web content
- Conduct audience analysis and develop story arcs
- Monitor and assess content success
- Assist with media monitoring and building our media list
- Delve deep into the theory of how people make decisions and what we can do to help citizens take actions in line with their values
- Help strengthen democracy in British Columbia
To be considered for this position, you need to:
- Show a demonstrated passion for politics and citizen engagement
- Have previous related experience in communications and mobilization
- Have an entrepreneurial, proactive attitude with a focus on getting results
- Be proficient in graphic design using Adobe Creative Suite including Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop a must - preferably for both print and web
- Have experience with campaign/brand related social media
- Have experience with content management systems, such as Drupal, Plone or Wordpress
- Have a demonstrated ability to generate creative, well-designed web, mobile and/or social media content to help tell stories through pictures, text, etc.
- Have a track record of writing and editing clean, compelling copy for a variety of audiences
- Be able to identify audience needs and develop compelling narratives on a variety of media platforms
- Be able to develop plans with clear goals, roles, timelines and metrics
- Be comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Be willing to help out where you’re needed – with fundraising, special events and community outreach programs, for example
- Google Analytics experience or experience with other analytics software a plus
Additionally, please highlight in your application which of the following you have experience with:
- CP Style
- Shooting and editing video
- Communications planning
- Writing e-mail broadcasts
- Using Salesforce or another CRM
- Using a mass e-mailing program
- Managing a social media presence for an organization
- Doing media monitoring and/or maintaining a media contact list
- Using data to improve results
- Working on a non-profit or political campaign
- Using graphic design software
Dogwood Initiative offers a flexible and rewarding work environment, including four weeks paid vacation in your first year.
If you’re interested in this position and meet the requirements, please e-mail a résumé and a one-page cover letter detailing why you’d like to work for Dogwood Initiative and why you’re the right person for the job by April 8th to:
Matt Takach, Operations Director
Interviews may happen on a rolling basis, so please get your application in as soon as possible. When submitting your application please include your name in the subject line of the email and save your attachments with your first and last name in the title, such as: "Ann_Smith_Cover_Letter.pdf" and "Ann_Smith_Resume.pdf."
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. No phone calls please.