Student Field Organizers/Canvassers
Date posted: April 20, 2015
Number of positions: 7
Closing date: Interviews ongoing - apply ASAP
Job type: 37.5 hours/week - 12 and 14 week summer contracts
Start date: ASAP
Locations: Victoria & Vancouver, B.C.
Wherever you go in the world, private interests are taking over public resources, such as air, land and water. In British Columbia, Dogwood Initiative is pioneering a model to put control back in the hands of the public by bringing together citizens of all backgrounds to reclaim decision-making power over their natural resources.
Dogwood’s model combines large-scale citizen engagement and recognition of aboriginal land rights with a non-partisan political approach, both of which are underscored by a commitment to continual improvement through sophisticated testing and analytics.
Are you a student who will be returning to your studies in the fall? Are you looking for experience in social movement and grassroots organizing? Dogwood Initiative is seeking 6 dedicated students to join our team for the summer to play an active role in laying the groundwork and building the capacity for launching a Citizen’s Initiative and to support our Beyond Coal campaign. Your responsibility will be to work in a team to coordinate and participate in weekly canvassing events, team meetings, voter registration and recruitment meetings.
● Currently a student and planning to return to school in the fall
● A demonstrated passion for the issues central to the campaign: democracy and local control in decision-making; public health and environmental protection; preventing expansion of coal exports to give B.C. communities a chance at a sustainable future.
● Ability to work a flexible schedule with irregular hours (e.g. evenings and weekends, long days when necessary) to maximize canvassing activity.
● Strong interpersonal skills and comfort approaching and interacting with people from all walks of life in diverse situations.
● Comfort and confidence working on your own or in pairs or small teams.
● Willingness to test ideas and step outside your comfort zone.
● Experience in a campaign setting (political or non-profit), and/or canvassing and outreach a plus, but not required.
Training and Support:
● You will be trained in the Marshall Ganz model of community organizing and will be applying, testing and have ownership of its evolution as it’s applied in Canada.
● You will receive an introduction to tactics for data driven campaigning.
● Your work will be supported and created in collaboration with mentors, aspiring leaders, and inspired community members.
Salary: Salary: $15 per hour, Full-time, 37.5 hrs/per week, 12 and 14 week contracts
Dogwood Initiative offers a flexible and rewarding work environment.
If you’re interested in this position and meet the requirements please e-mail a résumé and a one-page cover letter detailing why you’d like to work for Dogwood Initiative and why you’re the right person for the job:
Matt Takach, Operations Director
Interviews are currently underway, so please get your application in as soon as possible. When submitting your application please name and save your attachments with your first and last name in the title, such as: "Ann_Smith_Cover_Letter.pdf" and "Ann_Smith_Resume.pdf."
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. No phone calls please.